Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Miles Davis - Miles Smiles


Miles Davis - Trumpet
Wayne Shorter - Tenor Saxophone
Herbie Hancock - Piano
Ron Carter - Bass
Tony Williams - Drums

Tracks:
1. Orbits (Shorter)
2. Circle (Davis)
3. Footprints (Shorter)
4. Delores (Shorter)
5. Freedom Jazz Dance (Harris)
6. Gingerbread Boy (Heath)

Miles Smiles is one of a handful of great albums that Miles Davis' second great quintet released. I believe this quintet started to play together in 1963, albeit with George Coleman on tenor saxophone. Wayne Shorter was brought in for his talent in composing and for his spontaneous improvisations (Coleman was allegedly kicked out of the group by Davis when he heard Coleman practicing his solos). Miles Smiles was released in 1966 as the quintet's second album. By this time, the group had developed such a rapport, that they were not afraid to try anything.
I don't think I will try to do a track by track review, but I will try to go over what I feel make this album special.

"Orbits" is a Wayne Shorter piece that sounds like a soundtrack to an excursion through the galaxy. What I really like about this piece is that the soloists incorporate the end motive of the melody into their solos. Miles ends his solo with it; Wayne and Herbie begin their solos with it. I also like that Herbie does not comp at all through the whole piece. This makes it feel like Herbie is another horn player, as his solo resembles a horn line without any comping.
I really like the opening to "Circle." It opens with an impressionistic piano arpeggio that would make Ravel blush. It's great mood music for a quiet relaxing night.
"Footprints" may be one of Shorter's most well-known pieces. The version of the piece on Miles Smiles is too good. A piece of music may not be able to be played better than this. I believe that as a drummer, I may be biased to this recording because Tony Williams (just 21 years old when this was recorded. What am I doing with my life!) plays some of the most inconceivably ballin' drums of all time. The tune is written in a 6/8 waltz time, yet Williams gives it a pushing 4/4 feel. I don't know how Ron Carter was able to keep the famous bassline going in 6 while Tony was playing his polymetric patterns. All of the solos are superb. This album, pretty much, is a must own for "Footprints" alone.
"Freedom Jazz Dance" opens with Tony Williams playing triplets. Then the whole group joins in with the unison melody line. The line is difficult, as Davis and Shorter botch it slightly at times. The solo sections are what make this tune incredible. This is where Tony shows early signs that he was heading toward a rock and roll influence. The drumbeat behind the solos is syncopated and funky. The bass and piano also keep it relatively funky. This piece makes me want to dance!

I recently purchased this album, and I am very glad I did. If you consider yourself a Miles Davis fan, you must own this album. If you are trying to get into Jazz, I would definitely reccomend this as an album to get. Top 20 at least.

5/5 Stars

1 comment: