Thursday, January 23, 2014

Herbie Hancock - Crossings


This record features Herbie's Mwandishi band (I learned at work that Mwandishi is swahili for writer). The Mwandishi band all adopted swahili names. The band includes:
Mwandishi Herbie Hancock - Keyboards
Jabali Billy Hart - Drums
Mchezaji Buster Williams - Bass
Mwile Benny Maupin - Reeds, Flutes
Pepo Mtoto Julian Priester - Trombones
Swahile Eddie Henderson - Trumpet
I bought this record on spring break in 2007 in Chicago. I believe it was at a Virgin record superstore or Tower Records... I believe both do not exist any longer :( This record, I believe, is a reissue. There is no information that I can find on the sleeve that would indicate which year it was reissued. The only information I can see that it isn't original is that it says Remixed by David Rubinson, Fred Catero, Jerry Zakin... 

The music is very exploratory, sci-fi (Features Patrick Gleason on synthesizers), and vamp heavy. All of the 3 songs are long suites that include many short segments that transition into different sections. I feel like maybe Herbie was hearing people say "You should let the music develope more..." Well this is hyperbole, but his following albums (Sextant to some extent, but definitely on Headhunters and Thrust) seem to settle on a groove or a feeling for a longer period of time.

This record seems like an AACM record with a bigger recording budget (five vocalists are also listed in the credits, plus congas, certain keyboards were recorded at different studios... I could imagine this record costing quite a bit to be created.)

If you are interested in hearing the music on the album, here is a link to it:

Here is a cool video of the Mwandishi sextet:


No comments:

Post a Comment