Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Styx - Grand Illusion


Styx was my first favorite rock band. At one point, I could name all of the band members, now I can barely think of one (I just saw Tommy Shaw's name on the record... Dennis DeYoung... The Drummer and Bassist were bro's I believe, and I think the drummer died far too young... I guess I can always go on wikipedia to double check those type of details...)

(Tommy Shaw, I remember at a family get together, my older cousin talked about seeing Damn Yankees at the State Fair in the early 90's, and she was infatuated with Tommy Shaw, lol!)

Some good deep cuts on this: "Grand Illusion," "Angry Young Man," "Superstars." "Come Sail Away" was the big hit. Listening to this now with a little more sense of Rock Music history, I can hear how they were trying to ride some of Emerson Lake and Palmer's lightning. This record opens this way: "Welcome to the Grand Illusion... pay your price get your tickets to the show."

Karn Evil 9 has the famous line: "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Coming up next... KILROY WAS HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment