Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Umphrey's McGee - Safety in Numbers


In high school, all my friends loved jam bands. Mainly, Umphrey's McGee. This was my gateway into prog, which led to jazz fusion, which led to straight ahead jazz, which led to free improvisation, which brings us back to free improvisation, which is a unique thing that Umphrey's tries to incorporate into all of their sets. There is such a nostalgic push to this LP.

I could write forever and ever about this, but the main details I should get are this: This album came out in 2006. I bought the CD at Sam Goody when it came out, and later bought the RECORD at Best Buy (?). I rarely will buy a record if I already own the CD, but I guess I just was that into Umphrey's McGee at the time.

Storm Thorgerson (of Hipgnosis... i.e. Pink Floyd album artwork, some Zeppelin, others too) designed the album cover, which I guess flipped the role of a sleeping/counting sheep/ sleep?

I think Partyin' Sheeps would do it, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment