Thursday, February 6, 2014

Andrew Hill (trio/4tet) - Shades


This is not the most extraordinary Andrew Hill album. I always wonder why some jazz albums don't have a consistent group throughout. This album is a prime example, why is Clifford Jordan only on some of the tracks? He is a great Tenor Sax player, but I think the songs that don't feature Clifford sound better. Right now I'm enjoying the groove of the second song: "Tripping."

Good 80's jazz from the Soul Note record label (great liner notes from Nat Hentoff as well).

I forgot that this album is actually very nice, I just really don't like the first track "Monk's Glimpse." I like the Mingus-esque "Ball Square" - with it's various recurring sections. At times it seems like the band is trading 4's with the drummer, then they come back in with a slow half time dirge with arco bass, then drum solo, then some very straight ahead jazzings. This is a cool song (maybe it's the drummer in me). It seriously is trading 4's (maybe it's actually 8's) the whole song! That is really neat, and the different sections that the trio play explore various feelings and tempi! Very cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment