Saturday, February 8, 2014

Jay Hoggard - Rainforest


Wow, look at that album cover. It is so... cheesy. Despite it's cheesiness, there is some pretty decent stuff on this record. Being a student of the vibraphone, I feel an importance to listening to different professionals on the vibes. Jay Hoggard is a great vibraphonist as well as marimbist (he plays a lot of auxiliary percussion on the latin tunes).

This record contains Harvey Mason (drummer from Herbie's Headhunters album), Chico Freeman (son of Vonski, and AACM artist), and a young Kenny Kirkland (rip).

This album apparently garnered an Original Jazz Classics label... I wonder if that label was slapped on to liberally to any jazz album ever. There is good music on this record, do not get me wrong, but I never once thought while listening to it that this is a jazz classic.

I wish this had a better album cover, because that is the main reason that I don't get this record out to listen to too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment