Saturday, February 8, 2014

Dave Holland - Jumpin' In


The first thought when this record starts spinning is "this sounds like a big band." Not really:

  • Dave Holland Bass
  • Steve Coleman Alto Saxophone, Flute
  • Kenny Wheeler Trumpet, Pocket Trumpet, Cornet, Flugelhorn
  • Julian Priester Trombone
  • Steve Ellington (RIP) Drums
Cool tunes on here... I especially like Steve Coleman's "The Dragon and the Samurai." Opening statement sounds similar (maybe an influence) to Stanley Clarke's score to Boyz N Tha Hood.

Listening to "Sunrise," this is quite interesting - it sounds more like modern chamber music. I think Wheeler is playing his mellow flugelhorn, which blends seamlessly with Coleman's flute. I thought Dave Holland's arco bass sounded a lot like cello, and it turns out as I double check the liner notes, he is playing the cello.

The top corner of my record is labeled ECM Digital. I wonder what ECM's stance was on switching into the digital realm. I think maybe people thought this was the way to go (it sounds technological and is futuristic, therefore, it must be better?). I wonder if people were thinking about data lost with digits... I'm not an expert at all on the matter, but it seems like analog is all the rage.  Like I have mentioned, I have a very modest hi-fi system, so I'm not sure I can really judge the quality of sound of digital vs. non-digital.

I wish I (and the world) new more about Steve Ellington. he plays drums on this record. If my memory serves me right, I believe he is a nephew of the Duke. I know he played Sonor drums. I don't know a whole lot else about him. Did he lead his own group? Did he play a lot in a certain region of the country? Did he play on any other notable records? He is front and center on the back of the record sleeve:



No comments:

Post a Comment