Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hovhaness - And God Created the Great Whale

I only have a few classical records, but I like to have unique album covers which contain unique compositions. I remember learning about Alan Hovhaness' "Whales" in my first music appreciation course. I saw this album for sale at good old Maxwell Street Days in Cedarburg Wisconsin (Think gigantic flea market).
The composition contains actual recordings of whale songs. Nobody quite knows how the whales sing their songs... I'm sure someday a music theorist will categorize the types of whale songs in a very formulaic pattern.

I have realized that I am putting off listening to records because I am too concerned with what to write, so my future writings may be very short. I just want to listen to records sometimes, I don't always wanna blog about it. This exercise has been a good way for me to calculate exactly how many records I currently own.

No comments:

Post a Comment