Saturday, December 7, 2013

Eric Dolphy - Dolphy (Prestige twofer)

I just got this at Bullseye record shop on Irving off of Farwell in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This music is straight up jazzz with three jay-z's. Resplendent. It's so true.

This combines "Outward Bound" as well as "Out There." This was the point in jazz where artists felt obligated (maybe just Dolphy felt obligated, maybe just Dolphy's a&r dude(s) felt obligated) to label their albums as OUT (Seriously Out to Lunch.... I think every Dolphy album should have OUT in the title if it doesn't already). To quote Iconna Pop - "I don't care, I love it!"

Dolphy was a serious mofo on the alto sax, bass clarinet, and the flute.

AHHHHHH FREDDIE HUBBARD GOING AT IT!!!!

Jaki Byard, wow. I need to digest more Jaki Byard.

I'm listening to this record for the first time. I listened to these albums often in college, but I had them on my computer. They sound much better off the turntable than from my lenovo's crud-ridden speakers.

To quote Frank Zappa, "Make a Jazz Noise Here"

Manomanoman Dolphy is just... the best. Pure jazz as catharsis. If that makes no cents, it's owe (connie (hawkins)) kay. Went metabasketballjazz onthat one.

No comments:

Post a Comment