Monday, December 30, 2013

Eric Dolphy - Live at the Five Spot vol 2


Again, this group could have ruled the world. I consider this to be in the upper-echelon of jazz ensembles (with Miles second quintet, Coltrane's Classic Quartet, Ornette's Quartet(s)).

Everytime I hear what Booker Little does with his trumpet at 2:30 into the song "Aggression," I just start laughing with pure joy and giddiness! Listen for yourself, it's unreal (like a laser beam machine gun trumpet). It sounds like he is ascending (even as his melodic statement descends). It sounds as if he's being beamed up!
(Listen to the 2:30 mark!)

Maybe it was me, but I always thought Tony Williams as the first example I've heard a jazz drummer play quarter notes on the hi-hat. Lo and behold Eddie Blackwell writes a novel with quarter note hi hat in the song "Aggression."

No comments:

Post a Comment