Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Larry Coryell - Lady Coryell


I bought this record up in Marquette, MI at a St. Vinnie's for $.50. The sleeve is in poor shape, and so is the record. A lot of people may talk about how vinyl has a better sound than cd's or mp3's, and while I agree with that, there are many variables that factor into sound quality. I don't have a very high quality turntable, and I have two pretty small roland speakers. Add in the poor condition of the record... it doesn't sound that good. But I just want to hear music. Preferably good music. This is why if I find a good record, I'll get it; if I find a good CD, I'll get it. That is part of the reason why I have two Larry Coryell records, but only one Coltrane record (I have many Coltrane CDs)

I could imagine a few electric guitarists out of Washington state in the late 60's were influenced by Jimi Hendrix. This album definitely sounds like it is a guy really into Hendrix. A lot of guitar overdubs (Coryell plays guitars, basses, and sings). A couple tracks include Elvin Jones on drums, and one also includes Jimmy Garrison on bass. The song "Stiff Neck" really sounds like they are trying very much like Jazzi Hendrix.

No comments:

Post a Comment