Saturday, December 14, 2013

Walt Dickerson & Richard Davis - Divine Gemini

This is a gem that I'm very happy to have found. Walt Dickerson is a highly underrated vibraphonist. Some of his early Prestige recordings included Andrew Cyrille and Andrew Hill. He even had Sun Ra as a sideman in his group. Dickerson would play with hard rubber mallets, as opposed to those wrapped in cord or yarn. This gives his playing, at times, a sharper attack than most vibists. Yet his use of the sustain pedal and fast vibrato often creates these luscious legato moments, which then are intercepted by staccato chromatic flurries sans pedal.
The interplay with Richard Davis on this album is downright telepathic. I know Richard Davis teaches at the University of Wisconsin, and I would very much enjoy meeting him. I'd like to hear some anecdotes about this wonderful vibraphonist.
I would like to have more Walt Dickerson records in my collection, but his records are hard to come by. I was over-excited when I found this record at Bullseye records in Milwaukee. The bottom of the sleeve is broken, but the record is in fine shape, and that is what I'm primarily worried about. At times listening to this record, I long for the drums! Alas, I say that often!
Gotta love Steeplechase records.

Does everyone realize who Sun Ra was? Can you imagine being a vibraphone player, leading a group, and you have Sun Ra in your band? Playing harpsichord?

No comments:

Post a Comment