Friday, October 25, 2013

AEC - Full Force


I'm not trying to shed too much light on the music provided on all of these records, I'm merely attempting to listen to my entire record collection (Which I keep in alphabetical order). I'm still only at the A's (Art Ensemble of Chicago is the last of the A's). This is another ECM release that came out a few years after Nice Guys, and I feel like the record is actually Nice Guys part II.

The cover is cool for having the AEC insignia on the bottom: Art Ensemble of Chicago: Great Black Music, Ancient to the Future.

Everyone plays at least four different instruments, but Lester Bowie sticks with his trumpet on this one.


"Magg Zelma" really develops into a nice groove (similar in some ways to "Dreaming of the Masters" from Nice Guys), but one has to patiently wait for the groove to enter after a cacophony of little instruments. I wonder where they found bike horns that sound like little laughing monkeys?

I got this record at the same time as Nice Guys, so I wonder if my opinion is largely connected to that fact, or if others feel the same way?

Next up is a Beethoven record, which I don't know if I've ever listened to!


No comments:

Post a Comment