Thursday, October 24, 2013

Air - Air Lore

The Legend, and the Lore


Oh how I love Air. It's disappointing that many people think of the French Duo Air before they think of Mr. Threadgill, Mr. McCall, and Mr. Hopkins. Ornette Coleman released an album called "The Shape of Jazz to Come." Air embodies the best of what Jazz had become by the mid 1970s- mid 1980s.
I have had a hard time finding Air records at used record stores, although I recently asked a local store owner if he ever comes across them, and he assured me they are not as rare as I may have thought. This may be the most I've paid for a record - $17. Not bad - that's about the typical price for a CD. The music is priceless (cheesy, I know)...
I just heard a classic Threadgill solo ending - in which he sustains a tone, adds subtle vibrato, and makes his saxophone sound like a distorted guitar trailing off (end of his solo on King Porter Stomp).
Others have written about the music on this album. All of the songs are early jazz hits by the likes of Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin. The repertoire is played with modern extended improvisations that are respectful to the history, but modern and creative at the same time (another great example is Klang's Other Doors, which uses Benny Goodman tunes as vehicles for modern improvisation.)

I cherish this record, and I am looking forward to adding more Air to my record collection. I have Air Raid and Air Song in my CD collection, and I have not been disappointed by this all star lineup.

PS - Henry Threadgill performed at the Chicago jazz festival with Jack Dejohnette, Muhal Richard Abrams, Roscoe Mitchell, and Larry Gray. I read in Downbeat that this was recorded and may be released on ECM! I was very mad at myself that I did not attend this historic concert, but I would love to hear it on a recording!

No comments:

Post a Comment