Thursday, October 31, 2013

Arthur Blythe - Lennox Ave. Breakdown



This is a classic jazz album. Fine musicians, fine songs, fine solos. Bob Stewart plays Tuba while Cecil McBee plays upright bass. They play well off each other, and they create a huge low end sound - a base. With this base, Blood Ulmer is able to bounce his angular guitar jabs, Jack Dejohnette can syncopate like crazy, and Arthur can soar on top of it all.

Great liner notes from Stanley Crouch. I can't wait to read through his Charlie Parker biography. Crouch is a bit of an enigma; I've always pinned him as a curmudgeon that only liked a very specific classic jazz type, but he calls it like he sees it. Arthur is the man, and Crouch knows it.

This album, at least the title track, would even make good party music. I almost forgot James Newton is on this album! With some crazy electronic sounding flute effect on some long tones... I'm not sure why James Newton's star seemed to burn out so quickly. He's one of the most talented flutists in the history of Jazz... Is he still playing?

Cool album cover: "Come check out my apartment, it is shaped like an alto saxophone."

Again, I don't think I can do it justice. I just feel this album is an absolute classic. Here is a vid of the title track the entire album on youtube:


For those that do not know, Arthur Blythe is battling Parkinson's Disease. Please consider a donation to help offset the medical costs: http://gusttsilis.com/arthurblythe/

No comments:

Post a Comment