Monday, October 21, 2013

Next record - John Abercrombie - Gateway


I keep this record filed under John Abercrombie, although I believe the trio of John Abercrombie, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette worked as a collective named Gateway, which is the title of this record. This record was a great find: $1 at Family Sharing. I remember going to Family Sharing to pick up some stuff as I prepared to move out into my own place, so there is a little bit of nostalgia associated with this record for me.

The album cover deserves to be on Crap Jazz Covers, as it is a terrible album cover.

Although I really want to like the whole album, the only song I really enjoy is the first track, "Back Woods Song." The title suggests that they are jamming away in some cabin in the country. The picture of Dave Holland's epic winter beard adds to the effect:
That's Dave Holland on the right.

I have a lot of jazz records which I'm excited to listen to, but I also am excited to relisten to some weird stuff that I have that I don't take out too much anymore. (Star Wars narration, Pras - Ghetto Superstar, Styx, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment