Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Muhal Richard Abrams - 1-OQA + 19

Now this album has some mystery and intrigue. I wish I understood the meaning of the title/ poem 1-OQA + 19. Maybe some things are best left vague? The composition "OQA" features Henry Threadgill and Anthony Braxton reading Abram's poem. The best term I can think of for it is Cageian, although maybe Abramsian is more proper.

I like this album for it's even balance of complex, modern compositions which involve very orchestrated parts, and it's moments of pure group free improvisation. It never sounds like hell breaking loose... there is always a gameplan that is evident if not obvious.

This is my first foray into Muhal Richard Abrams. It is also one of my first forays into the Black Saint/Soul Note catalog (Great 70's and 80's Avant Garde jazz label from Italy)

I like hearing Henry Threadgill teamed up with Anthony Braxton. Abrams on synthesizer is always a treat. Steve McCall. I love Steve McCall. I always draw a blank when people ask me for great jazz drummers (so many to choose from). I have to remember next time to answer with "Steve McCall." I'm sure we'll hear more about him in my next post, which will be about the group Air.

I adore the picture of Muhal on the back of the record:


No comments:

Post a Comment