Friday, October 18, 2013

My Records - John Abercrombie Timeless

I have decided that I am going to listen to all of my records, and I am going to listen to them in alphabetical order. While listening to them, I'm going to blog about each one.
John Abercrombie - Timeless.
John Abercrombie: guitar; Jan Hammer: Piano, Synthesizer, Organ; Jack Dejohnette: drums

This is a classic ECM record, and it may be one of John Abercrombie's most memorable records. It's fusion and jazz, but not in such a macho, Mahavishnu Orchestra style (even though Jan Hammer played keys with the M.O.). This record has the crystalline, ECM sound (Reverb). My favorite tracks are "Ralph's Piano Waltz" (with Hammer playing organ) and "Timeless."
I remember finding this record at a record convention in Marquette, MI back in my college days. I was made aware of Abercrombie's Timeless by watching this Black Milk production of Slum Village's Reunion. I was excited that I was able to find it in Marquette MI, which didn't have a lot of places to find rare gems. I think my folks were up visiting me, and I think may have spotted me the $4 cost of this record. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Three excellent musicians playing great pieces. When I listen to the title track, I always get excited when I hear the part in Jan Hammer's solo that is sampled in "Reunion."

No comments:

Post a Comment