Monday, October 21, 2013

On to the next one: Muhal Richard Abrams - Young at Heart and Wise in Time


I have two Muhal Richard Abram records, and this is the newer one to my collection. I also have the CD box set of the Muhal Richard Abram Black Saint/Soul Note large group recordings. One of the most interesting books I've read is George E. Lewis' A Power Stronger than Itself. The book is a comprehensive overview of the history of the AACM. Muhal Richard Abrams is one of the founders of the group, and he includes other key members from the AACM on the second side of this album: Henry Threadgill, Leo Smith, Lester Lashley and Thurman Barker. The ensemble piece "Young at Heart," Is very experimental, but eventually a groove establishes half way through. This isn't my favorite avant-garde recording, but I like hearing early examples of Henry Threadgill and company collaborating with Mr. Abrams. The other side is a piano solo by Muhal. I enjoy it, but I don't feel that it lives up to Amus Mor's liner notes, which states, "the piano plays in blues, marchtime, stride, bop, freedom, and at last stretches on out there."

No comments:

Post a Comment