Friday, November 1, 2013

Anthony Braxton - In The Tradition

I got this so that I could own an Anthony Braxton record. I don't know if this is the best place to start with Anthony Braxton, but I had to start somewhere. I thought a traditional quartet would be a good place to start. It is very traditional sounding. Tootie Heath on drums. NHOP on bass. Tete Montoliu on piano. I had never heard of Tete before I got this, but he is an excellent pianist. This record is on the Steeple Chase/ Inner City record label, which is a label to look for if you are trying to find great jazz recordings from the 70s and 80s (ala Black Saint/ Soul Note)

I think I prefer Braxton's playing on two ECM CD's - Conference of the Birds and Paris Concert. But this record is still good. I also bought it because he plays contrabass clarinet. A duet with NHOP on Goodbye Porkpie Hat (I thought they should have incorporated that song into the ending of Breaking Bad...)

This recording was supposed to be a Dexter Gordon date! Some interesting trivia for you...

Tootie Heath must have 8 arms, because he is keeping time while throwing in interjections through out the drum kit on all the songs he's on.

When I searched google images for Braxton In the Tradition, for some reason, the J Lo green dress picture came up:


No comments:

Post a Comment