Monday, November 4, 2013

Gary Burton Quartet - In Concert

I have entered the Gary Burton section of my library. Being a vibraphonist, I feel that I need to listen and collect recordings from as many vibraphonists as I can (I am shocked to admit that I only have one MJQ album with Milt Jackson on vibes. I need to get more Milt Jackson records). I was a pretty big fusion fan at one point in my life, and I had read about Burton's early fusion groups with Larry Coryell on guitar. There is some good playing all around on this record, but it is not my favorite Burton recording.
I love how the cover is such a 1968 fashion statement. Steve Swallow seems like such an interesting guy... I really like his electric bass playing that he switched to doing in the mid 1970s. Swallow with his short hair seems like he is being counter-counter culture - you short-haired freak! Gary Burton, meanwhile, kinda seems like Robin Hood.

I got some cooking to tend to, and some good vibes to soak up!

No comments:

Post a Comment