Friday, November 8, 2013

Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett


This is a pretty classic Gary Burton album; very 60's jazz rocky vibes stuff going on here. Great compositions written mostly by Keith Jarrett (all except Como en Vietnam by Steve Swallow, who plays electric bass on this album?) 

Holy cow, Grow Your Own. Right before the ensemble comes in to play the head of the song for a final time, Gary and Keith lock into the tightest vibes and piano groove ever. I don't think anything Gary's done with Chick Corea locks into that insane tightness at the end of "Grow Your Own." Remember when those jazz robot videos were so popular on youtube.com? I remember there was one where they joke about Keith Jarrett writing a song about growing pot, which I suppose there aren't too many other songs about that topic.

Sam Brown is a tremendously underrated jazz figure in the late 1960's to 1970's. He was one of my favorite guitarists; he really can meet the middle ground where he isn't overtly rock in a jazz setting, and vice versa. Tragically, I believe he committed suicide around 1974. I wish there was more writings about him. I love his playing on this, and he was pretty much a member of Keith Jarrett's american quartet in my mind (as well as Guilhermo Franco). I love his playing on Paul Motians records such as Conception Vessel and Tribute (Tribute is one of my favorite records, and I look forward to listening to it and writing about it.)

This record also displays Keith Jarrett on soprano sax. He has a unique sound on the soprano. I can only describe it as "gnarly tone." Earthy isn't quite the right adjective, but I believe gnarly hits it right on the head.

I think I have two more Gary Burton albums after this one (I probably will be adding more in the future). Gary Burton and Keith Jarrett are the two artists of which I have the most records. It is fitting that that is the title of this album...

No comments:

Post a Comment