Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ornette Coleman - Love Call


This is a great record of late 60's Ornette Coleman with Dewey Redman, Jimmy Garrison, and Elvin Jones. I have a few records in my collection that I describe as "Hey Ornette, I'm borrowing your band for a little bit;" This record seems to be more Ornette taking on John Coltrane's rhythm section sans McCoy Tyner. With Coltrane having recently passed, the group doesn't sound like they are trying to do anything Coltranesque. I don't know that Coleman ever did anything that would be Coltranesque...

This is a record that I bought as a modern reissue. I usually don't like to buy new old records, just because they are usually much cheaper if you can buy them used. I think this one was under $10, which is usually my goal when I am buying records.

This record has Ornette playing trumpet occasionally. He is surprisingly graceful with the trumpet; I can't quite say that with his violin playing.

I would like to get New York is Now, which was recorded with the same band at the same recording session.

I wonder who is on the cover of this album?

When I did a google search for Love Call, I came accross a blog called heightfiveseven. I've thought that if Kate Upton liked free jazz... well here is a blog of a beautiful woman sharing her record collection (Lots of Jazz, but mostly hiphop). Although maybe this is actually Banksy pulling a Mr. Brainwash type maneuver ..

No comments:

Post a Comment