Monday, November 18, 2013

Stanley Clarke - If This Bass Could Only Talk

I got this record at Maxwell Street Days in Cedarburg WI. Stanley Clarke, late 80's. Unique record, starts with a bass tap dance duet with Gregory Hines. Stanley Clarke sounding like Stanley Jordan (Bass line plus chords) whilst Hines provides a great rhythmic accompaniment. I used to think the "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" was corny, but now I think differently. Very similar in style to Clarke's soundtrack to Boyz n tha Hood. "Pork Pie" is Clarke's tribute to Jaco. Great soprano sax playing from Wayne Shorter. "I want To Play for Ya" is straight up Zapp and Roger.

I'm glad I'm doing this. I can't remember the last time I pulled this record out to listen to. It's pretty cool! I just bought it because I liked Return to Forever and I knew of Stanley Clarke. Good liner notes. I'm gonna go read 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment