Friday, November 1, 2013

Arthur Blythe - Illusions


I like this record a lot, but I don't find it quite as classic as Lennox Avenue Breakdown from the previous post. The concept from this album is to feature Blythe's two different groups: His Avant Garde ensemble with cello tuba guitar drums, and his "In the Tradition" quartet with piano bass and drums. Both groups are phenomenal, but I wish this was two separate albums featuring each group. The concept was to intersperse songs from each group to create an illusion that they are one in the same. I don't like the illusion. I get really into one track, and the next one is a different group. Then I get into it, and the next is different...

I also generally prefer jazz albums that have a consistent lineup throughout the whole album. It seems like looking at some of the credits on jazz albums in the late 70s and early 80s is like the ending credits of a movie.

Arthur is the man. He and David Murray were two of the top saxophonists in the early 1980s (both played in Jack Dejohnette's Limited Edition). Please see the previous post for the link to help Arthur's battle with Parkinson's Disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment